Friday, October 22, 2010

Calling......and Waiting on the Lord

 
lifewordslifewordslifewords
October 22, 2010  calling......and waiting on the Lord

 

This morning I'm still thinking about the great promise in Psalm 145:18  which says, "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.  He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them." 

 

It reminds me of another Psalm of David written from a perspective of weariness in the battle.  Psalm 61 says,

 

"Hear my cry, O God; Give head to my prayer, From the ends of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher han I.  For You have been a Refuge for me, a Tower of strength against the enemy." 

  

 What are we to do when we begin to feel faint along the journey, wearied in the battle? Call upon Him, Cry out to the One who is our Refuge and Strength.   So we understand that the Lord responds to our call, our cry of faith.  We must also understand that with the cry, there comes a quiet confidence in knowing that the Lord has heard our cry.  There is a time for us to wait in silence, assured of His faithfulness.  In Psalm 62, David shows this other side of our walk of faith in God.

 

"My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation.  My stronghold; I shall not be greatly moved."

There is the time for calling upon Him, there is a time to rest in Him, knowing He has heard the cry, meditating on His promises to answer and trusting in His salvation. Oh the strength that comes in being quiet before the Lord, remembering His faithfulness, meditating on His Word, receiving His peace and joy, fixing our eyes upon Him!  Have you ever been in a relationship where the other person did all the talking, and most of it was about what they needed? It can get wearisome and annoying! Our relationship with the Lord  in prayer must be a two way exchange.  Our relationship with Him will be stunted if we are always the one doing the talking and mainly just about what we need. He desires so much more! We must spend just as much time listening, meditating and being still, receiving from Him, as we do speaking.  It is when we get quiet that we will know His voice and His leading and be anchored in His salvation. Remember Isaiah 40:31 "They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength (will gain new strength), they will mount up with wings like eagles,  they will run and will not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."  Let's master the art of waiting on God and being quiet before Him. He delights in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment